St. Alban's Church
Athol Street
![]() | |
Following the famine of 1846, a large number of Irishmen were compelled to leave Ireland, and many made their new home in Liverpool. Within a short time it became clear that St. Mary's, St. Joseph's and St. Anthony's Churches were not able to serve the needs of the now densely populated north end of Liverpool and in October 1848 Father Thomas Newsham began work to erect a new church near the Docks.
A piece on land was purchased, and within ten months the structure of the church was substantially complete. On 19 August 1849, the new church was opened by the Rt. Rev. George Brown, Vicar Apostolic of Liverpool and was dedicated 'to the honour and glory of God and the Blessed Mary ever Virgin, under the title of St. Alban's. The Rev. Thomas Kelly of St. Anthony's was appointed the first parish priest shortly after the opening. NB.The church still stands in Athol street but now houses a Climbing Wall!
Source
| Repository: | Liverpool Record Office |
| Ref No | 282 ALB |
| Acc Nos | 2793, 4811, 5792 |
| Extent | 14 Volumes |
| Date | 1849 - 1931 |
| Access Conditions | 282 ALB/1/1-9 and 282 ALB/2/1-3 are available on microfilm only |
Records and History courtesy of Liverpool Record Office, Liverpool Libraries
Visit Liverpool Libraries online catalogues at http://archive.liverpool.gov.uk
| Liverpool Home & Contents | ©Lancashire OnLine Parish Clerks | Lancashire Home |