Goosnargh
![]() | |
Photograph supplied by and © of Brian Young |
A chapelry in the parish of Kirkham, hundred of Amounderness, county palatine of LANCASTER, 6-1/2 miles from Preston, containing, with the township of Newsham, 1852 inhabitants.
The living is a perpetual curacy, in the archdeaconry of Richmond, and diocese of Chester, endowed with £400 private benefaction, £400 royal bounty, and £200 parliamentary grant, and in the patronage of the Vicar of Kirkham.
A free grammar school is endowed with various bequests producing £40 per annum, which is paid to the master, and with £30 a year, the bequest of Henry Colborne, for the maintenance of an usher.
An hospital for decayed persons was founded and richly endowed by the Rev. William Bushell, D.D., in 1735.
From: A Topographical Dictionary of England, by Samuel Lewis, Vol. 2, London, 1831, p. 244.
Entered here 29 August 2004 by Lynn Ransom Burton.
| Goosnargh Home & Contents | ©Lancashire OnLine Parish Clerks | Lancashire Home |