A joint township with Croft in the parish of WINWICK, hundred of WEST DERBY, county palatine of LANCASTER, 3-1/2 miles (S.E.by E.) from Newton in Mackerfield, containing 1,257 inhabitants.
The Hall once belonged to the Roman Catholic college of Stonyhurst, and part of it is still used as a chapel by persons of that persuasion.
From: A Topographical Dictionary of England, by Samuel Lewis, Vol. IV, London, 1831, page 137.
Entered here 4 September 2004 by Lynn Ransom Burton.