click to return to 
Winwick Home & Contents

Newchurch Parish Church, Culcheth
in the County of
-- Lancashire --

click to return to Lancashire Home

Newchurch Parish Church

The Parish Church, originally a Chapel of Ease to Winwick, was probably built before 1528, a tower being added in 1691. The nave was destroyed and rebuilt in 1753. The whole structure of red brick with stone quoins, although largely overgrown with ivy, could scarcely be described as beautiful, its squat tower being almost overshadowed by a broad and somewhat ungainly nave, with few pretensions to architectural style.

The old church at Newchurch
The old church at Newchurch
Foundation stone

In the early hours of Sunday, April 19th 1903, the old Church was burnt to the ground, with the exception of the tower, a portion of which served as a vestry, the fire having arisen probably through the overheating of the flues. All the stained glass windows, frescoes and sepulchral monuments – none of the inscriptions having previously been copied – perished in the flames, as well as the pews and other fittings.

Fortunately, the registers, the valuable plate, the bells, two dated collecting boxes of 1663, the brasses and two portraits of former incumbents, were rescued. The present Church is a very stately edifice of stone consisting of a nave with six bays of Norman arches, chancel, north and south aisles, clergy vestry, choir vestries and a beautiful tower, which contains a clock and a peal of eight bells. The Church is dedicated to no saint, but is called Newchurch Parish Church.

Newchurch Parish Church
Newchurch Parish Church
Photograph by kind permission and © Frances Holcroft 2010

For more details, see the Newchurch Parish Church website


Source:
Extracts from 'A History of the Parish of Newchurch' by the Rev. Oscar Reginald Plant, Rector of Newchurch

Transcribed in 2004 and made available here by kind permission of Lawrence Daintith, who wrote:

"This typed transcript of the History of the Parish of Newchurch by the Rev. O. R Plant was undertaken by me in order that the residents of Newchurch today might gain an insight into the celebrations which took place 75 years ago on the occasion of the Silver Jubilee of the re-opening of the Church after the disastrous fire of 1903.

Lawrence Daintith
24th May 2004"

Winwick Home & Contents ©Lancashire OnLine Parish Clerks

Lancashire Home