Newchurch in Culcheth
Deeds relating to Culcheth Hall show that a community of people existed in Newchurch in Culcheth in 1305. Culcheth Hall itself dated back to around 1200. The original parish church is believed to date back to before 1528, and the village has a long history. More details can be found at the Culcheth Local History website
Some notable people have had connections with Newchurch. The Holcroft family, which is much in evidence in the early registers, was long associated with Newchurch. Sir John Holcroft was knighted at the Coronation of Edward VI. His grand nephew, Lieutenant Colonel John Holcroft, of Holcroft, bequeathed a gold chain to help towards substantial repairs at Newchurch Parish Church. His daughter, Maria, married the infamous Colonel Thomas Blood at Newchurch on 21st June 1650. Colonel Blood subsequently became notorious for various crimes, including that of attempting to steal the crown jewels.
The character closely identified with the ancient parish of Newchurch-Kenyon, immediately following the Cromwellian period of history, is that of Thomas Wilson, a former curate, who began his distinguished career in Newchurch. The Rev Wilson was licensed in December 1686 to the curacy of Newchurch in the parish of Winwick where his maternal uncle, Dr Sherlock, was rector. He soon became chaplain to the ninth Earl of Derby, who offered him the Bishopric of the Isle of Man (Bishop of Sodor and Man), making him one of the youngest bishops the Church of England had known (at the age of 34). The introductory pages of the first volume of parish registers for Newchurch Parish Church contain a long description of his illustrious career.