The original St Paul’s Chapel was built in 1769 on Standishgate and was the first Orthodox Presbyterian place of worship in the whole of the County Palatine. The original church was replaced by one opened 26 Aug 1903, but this has now been converted into apartments.
(from ‘St Pauls Congregational Church, Standishgate’ By J.W. Asson)
|1783-1791||Rev John Johnson|
|1791-1776||Rev William Roby|
|1776||Rev James Kirby|
|1796-1803||Rev Mr Fleming|
|1803-1809||Rev Jas. Parkin|
|1810-1832||Rev Alex Steele|
|1833-1839||Rev Thomas Atkin|
|1839-1870||Rev William Roaf|
|1871-1874||Rev F G Collier|
|1874||Rev R D Hutchinson|
|1874-1876||Rev J Emmott Jones|
|1876-1883||Rev H Campbell M. A.|
|1883-1894||Rev Thos. Wilkinson|
|1894-1898||Rev W J Dickson|
|1898-1906||Rev D C Tinker|
|1907-1915||Rev J H Robinson|
|1917-1921||Rev Everard Bagueley|
|1923-1943||Rev John A Banks|
|1944-1950||Rev Gilbert Briggs|
|1952 -||Rev A H Tebbet M. A. B. D.|
On the 9 September 1837, Thomas Atkin the Minister of St Pauls Chapel, Standishgate, Wigan in the County of Lancaster, completed a questionnaire for the ‘Commissioners for enquiring into the State, Custody and Authenticity of Non-parochial Registers’. He wrote that St Paul’s was of Independent denomination, was founded about 1777, and named Richard Stuart and Peter Latham as Deacons. With respect to the registers he stated that the baptism registers had been kept with regularity since the opening of the chapel in 1787 [sic] to 1798, and from 1809 to 1837, but ‘great negligence’ from 1798-1809. Many entries from this negligent period are missing baptism dates have been transcribed into the register from slips of paper in the 1830s. The Revd. Atkin also recorded that a burial register had been kept up till 1797 and from 1827, but not in the intervening period.
The baptism and birth records presented here have been extracted from an LDS film of the St Paul’s registers now housed in the Public Record Office London.
The registers originally had no page numbers, but were stamped when archived (two leaves per page): these are the page numbers referred to here (page 1-3 are the questionnaire). The first part of the baptism register runs consecutively until page 90 and then changes to burials through page 96, the baptisms start again on page 97 and continue through page 101 ending on 13 May 1837.