Whittington Church stands on an ancient site of a motte and bailey castle. It is believed there has been a church on this site since the year 1200. In the churchyard many old stones can be seen dating back to Norman times. The tower is the oldest part, built in the 15th Century and the height is fifty feet. Fragments of stones in the doorway are reputed to go back to the time of William the Conqueror. Apart from the Tower, the external appearance of the church is Gothic, and this is due to the fact that major restoration took place in 1875.
To the west of the church there is a mound which may have been a Norse moothill (meeting place). On this there is a sundial on a square base of five steps, which may have been the steps of a cross. As you enter the church, there is a detailed plan to the left, which even portrays the tiles!
The church has registers dating back to 1538, the year Thomas Cromwell ordered them to be started. They are bound in calf skin and immaculately written in copper plate. In 1991 a missing register was discovered in an old safe, the key of which came to light during a 'boon' day! This then completed the unbroken original records, which are now safely stored in archives at Preston.