From Edward Baines’ “History, Directory and Gazetteer of the County Palatine of Lancaster” - 1825
Whittington Parish in the Lonsdale Hundred (South)
WHITTINGTON is a village, township, and parish (without any dependant township), in the Hundred of Lonsdale (South of the Sands) in the Deanery of Kirkby Lonsdale, and in the Archdeaconry of Richmond; 2 miles SSW. of Kirkby Lonsdale. This parish contains 93 houses, occupied by 91 families; of these families 51 are employed chiefly in agriculture, 16 in trade, manufacture or handicraft; and the remaining 24 are either engaged in professional pursuits or unemployed. In 1801 the population amounted to 301, in 1811 to 411 and in 1821 to 461. The rental of the parish, according to the estimate for the county rates, amounts to £5,183. The parish church is situated in the village; the living is a rectory, recently purchased by the Rev. William Carus Willson M.A. who is also the incumbent. The villages in this parish are:-- NEWTON; 3 miles SSW of Kirkby Lonsdale.
Directory of Whittington Parish 1825
Askew,Edw. maltster, West Hall
Blackburn Rev. Edward
Greene Thomas, Esq. M.P. for Lancaster, Whittington Hall
Hayhurst Rt. miller, Sellet Hall
Ramsbottom Thos, 'Rose Tree Inn'
Tomlinson Edward, yeoman, Biggin, Westmorland
Wilson Rev. Wm. Carus, M.A.