The Parish Chapelry of St John, Yealand Conyers
Heading north out of Warton, the road passes through the Yealands, a sequence of three small communities named in order Yealand Conyers, Yealand Redmayne and Yealand Storrs.
These communities have an interesting history. Mentioned in the Doomsday book as Jalant which is believed to be derived from the Anglo-Saxon meaning high ground.The evolution of the names is also interesting and is derived from past Lords of the Manor. Among the earlier overlords was Henry de Redmayne. By the early 13th century, control had passed to Adam de Yealand, Sheriff of the County, whose daughter Alice subsequently married Robert de Conyers. Elements of all three families now contribute to the current name of this group of communities.
This small group of communities was also the site of much religious unrest.
They became a seat of Quaker activity during the period of persecution. George Fox preached in Yealand Conyers in 1652. He also became a friend of one of the inhabitants, Richard Hubberstone, who became a strong advocate of the Quaker faith for which he died a martyr in Newgate prison in 1662. The legacy of his activities can still be seen in the form of what is reputed to be the oldest non-conformist place of worship in the county, dating from 1692, along with the old Quaker school, still in operation until 1920, and the burial ground.
Also nearby is Leighton Hall, with its origins dating back to 1246. This has been a Catholic stronghold and during the period of Catholic persecution, a priest was frequently hidden within the walls.
A centre for worship was established in 1838 in the community of Yealand Conyers, this can be found at OS Map Reference SD 507748.
Originally a chapelry of the Parish church of St Oswald, records for this church were recorded in the Parish registers of the mother church and may be viewed as part of those registers up to the year 1857. From 1858 onwards, the church of St John maintained its own registers.
This church was elevated to the status of a parish in its own right on 25 Sep 1870.