"A Topographical Dictionary of England" by Samuel Lewis, 1848. 7th Edition
WARTON, an ecclesiastical parish, in the parish of Kirkham, union of the Fylde, hundred of Amounderness, N. division of Lancashire; comprising the townships of Warton, Freckleton, and Bryning with Kellamergh; and containing 1669 inhabitants, of whom 522 are in Warton township, 3 miles (S. S. W.) from Kirkham. Warton appears to have belonged to the lord of WoodPlumpton, by intermarriage with whose heiress the Betham family became connected with the property. The last of the Bethams was Roger, whose daughter married Sir Robert Middleton, of Leighton, in the reign of Richard III. In the 7th of Henry VIII. the manor of Warton was held by Richard Singleton, of Broughton Tower, and Johanna Standishe. About threefourths of the township are now the property of Thomas Clifton, Esq., of Lytham Hall. The parish is situated on the estuary of the Ribble, which bounds it on the south: there are fine views of the opposite shore; and for the safe passage over the Ribble, a guide is stationed at Warton, who conducts strangers to HeskethBank. In the township are 1534a. 1r. 13p., whereof two-thirds are arable, and the remainder pasture. Warton Lodge is the residence of James Fair, Esq., agent to Mr. Clifton. The parish was formed in 1846: the living is a perpetual curacy, with a net income of £93. 15., and a house; patrons, the Dean and Canons of ChristChurch, Oxford. The great tithes for Warton township have been commuted for £198, and the tithes of the Vicar of Kirkham for £77. 12. 4. The church, dedicated to St. Paul, was consecrated as a chapel in 1725, and is a neat structure with a tower. A school is endowed with an annual income of nearly £100.
"The Imperial Gazetteer of England and Wales" by John Marius Wilson, 1872, Page 1013
WARTON, a township and a chapelry in Kirkham parish, Lancashire. The township lies on the river Ribble's estuary, 3 miles SW of Kirkham r. station; contains a scattered village of its own name; and has a postal wall-box, under Preston. Acres. 3,939; of which 2,405 are water. Real Property, £2,960. Pop., 446. Houses, 91. The chapelry includes also Freckleton township, and comprises 6,598 acres. Pop., 1,325. Houses, 279. The property is much subdivided. Cotton spinning and the manufacture of sacking, sail-cloth, and cordage, are carried on. The living is a vicarage in the diocese of Manchester. Value, £350/* Patron, Christchurch, Oxford. There are two churches, both good. There are also two Methodist chapels and a national school.