Egton cum Newland is a scattered parish which includes the villages of Greenodd, Penny Bridge and Spark Bridge together with the hamlets of Arrad Foot, Newland and Seathwaite. At one time Greenodd was the highest point of the Leven estuary that vessels could sail to.
Farming and the manufacture of bobbins and baskets were traditional forms of employment in the area, but later there was also a cotton mill. In the nineteenth century, the first blast furnace to be erected in the Furness area was built here.
The church of St Mary the Virgin was endowed and built by William Penny of Penny Bridge in 1791 on the site of a former chapel. The church has been extended several times and the original tower replaced.