Blawith lies about a mile and a half south of Coniston Water. Traditionally it was an agricultural area and had a population of around 200 in 1881. Today it remains a quiet area with holiday parks and cottages for tourists.
The church of St John the Baptist was built in 1863 on the opposite side of the main road to replace an earlier chapel of ease built before 1577 and rebuilt in 1749. This later church closed in 1988 and was sold in 2012 for conversion to a dwelling.
The ruins of the older church can still be seen nearby. Parts of the walls remain standing and there are a number of graves in the churchyard. It has been described as being little more than a small barn with no tower or steeple. The ruins are Grade II listed.