St Andrew’s Coniston was re-built in 1819, on the site of an earlier Elizabethan chapel found 1586 built by William Le Fleming, whose family built Coniston Hall in 1270. The chapel is a small building with a small tower and two bells, containing seating for 300.
The Church lies in the heart of a small village with houses built at the Head of Coniston Lake. Traditionally the inhabitants were employed in the slate quarries and copper mines of this neighbourhood. The ore was boated down the lake and then carted to Greenodd or Ulverston for shipment.
The graveyard contains the remains and grave of the poet John Ruskin, who died in 1900.
In 2001 a funeral service was held at St Andrew’s for the Donald Campbell CBE the holder of the world land and water speed record, after the discovery of his remains with his craft “Blue Bird” in Coniston Lake.