Egton was originally a chapelry, in the parish and union of ULVERSTON, hundred of LONSDALE, north of the Sands, N. Division of the county of LANCASTER, 20 miles (W.) from Milnthorpe; containing 515 inhabitants.
The chapelry comprises 3143a. 3r. 6p. At Greenodd, a creek within the limits of the port of Lancaster, a considerable quantity of iron in bars, copper-ore, slate, hoops, tanned leather, gunpowder, pyroligneous acid, and other articles of merchandise, are shipped for Liverpool, Glasgow, and Whitehaven.
The living is a perpetual curacy, net income, £92; patron, J.P. Machell, Esq. The chapel is dedicated to the Blessed Mary.
Henry Lindow, in 1735, gave property, now producing about £6 per annum, for the support of a school.
From: Topographical Dictionary of England, by Samuel Lewis, London, 5th Edition, 1842. Vol. II, page 144. London, 1842.