A parish in the hundred of LONSDALE, south of the sands, county palatine of LANCASTER, comprising the chapelry of Leck, and the townships of Burrow with Burrow, Cantsfield, and Tunstall, and containing 757 inhabitants, of which number, 155 are in the township of Tunstall, 3-3/4 miles (S.) from Kirkby-Lonsdale.
The living is a discharged vicarage, in the archdeaconry of Richmond, and diocese of Chester, rated in the king’s books at £6/3/11-1/2d, endowed with £400 private benefaction, and £400 royal bounty, and in the patronage of M. Wilson, Esq.
The church, dedicated to St. John the Baptist, is very ancient, and occupies a retired situation.
Twenty-four children receive a gratuitous education for about £26 a year, arising from sundry bequests, in a school-room built by subscription in 1751.
From: A Topographical Dictionary of England, by Samuel Lewis, Vol. IV, London, 1831, page 338.
Entered here 3 September 2004 by Lynn Ransom Burton.