Is a large village, two and a half miles N.W. from Bury, but the township of Tottington extends five miles from that town, and comprises most of Ramsbottom and the village of Holcombe. In the 17th century the township was divided for local purposes into the two townships of Tottington Higher End and Tottington Lower End, and the latter is still further divided for rating purposes into two divisions.
The copyhold manor, originally an appendage to the Crown, was in the successive possession of the Houses of Lincoln and Lancaster, and the seat of the superior court to which the manor of Bury, Middleton, Chatterton, and Alkrington owed suit and service.
It was given, with other manors, by Charles II to General Monk, Duke of Albemarle, as a portion of his reward for services to the House of Stuart. The Albemarle possessions were vested in Lady Montague, and from her the manor has descended to the present Duke of Buccleuch.
The township contains 5,271 acres, and its rateable value amounts to £64,755. Its population in 1851 was 10,691; 1861, 11,764; and in 1874, 12,531.
The Church, dedicated to St. Anne, was erected in 1799, and repaired in 1344, and in 1867 the church was reseated. It contains 700 sittings, all of which are free. The benefice is a vicarage, of the annual value of £200, in the patronage of the rector of Bury, and held by the Rev. Samuel Gideon Frederick Perry, M.A. The population of the parish in 1871 was 5,346.
St. John’s (Free Church of England) is a neat stone building, erected in 1867, at a cost of £1,500. It will seat 400 persons. The Rev. John Brunskill, incumbent.
The Congregational Chapel, Green Mount, is a handsome Gothic edifice with a lofty spire. It was built in 1866-7, at a cost of £3,330. The old chapel is now used for school purposes.
The Wesleyans have a large chapel here, also a good school erected some years ago, at a cost of £2,000, raised by subscription.
Holy Mount College, built a few years since by Messrs. Hudson and Hainsworth as an academy for young gentlemen, is a large and pleasantly situated building in a healthy locality, and the instruction imparted is both varied, solid, and extensive.
Here is an endowed school, and a Mutual Improvement Society which dates from 1850. The school possesses a considerable endowment.
A fair is held on the third Friday in August.
From: Directory and Topography of Bury, Heywood, Ramsbottom, Radcliffe, Pilkington, and Adjacent Villages and Towns and Townships, by P. Barrett & Co. Preston, 1880. Page 168.
And (from an earlier time): A Topographical Dictionary of England, by Samuel Lewis, Vol. IV, London, 1831, Page 329:
TOTTINGTON (HIGHER), a township in that part of the parish of Bury which is in the hundred of Salford, county palatine of Lancaster, 3 miles (N.W.) from Bury, containing 1,728 inhabitants.
Joshua Elton, in 1761, gave certain lands and buildings in support of a free school at the village of Edenfield, in this township, but the income is only £1/2/6d a year, for which one child is educated.
Samuel Ashton, in 1826, gave land for the enlargement of this charity, for which purpose also a subscription has been entered into.
TOTTINGTON (LOWER), a chapelry in that part of the parish of Bury which is in the hundred of Salford, county palatine of Lancaster, 3 miles (N.W.by W.) from Bury, containing 7,333 inhabitants.
The living is a perpetual curacy, in the archdeaconry and diocese of Chester, endowed with £800 royal bounty, and £1,600 parliamentary grant, and in the patronage of the Rector of Bury.
The chapel is dedicated to St. Anne.
Here are very extensive establishments for the printing and bleaching of cotton, in which more than two thousand five hundred persons are employed.
Courts leet and baron are held twice a year; and there is a fair on October 12th.
A school was erected in 1715, by Thomas Nuttall, who endowed it with a rent-charge of £3; in 1773, the building was enlarged by subscription among the inhabitants, and, with the subsequent bequests of Peter and Ann Baron, the income has been augmented to £24 a year, for which fifteen children are gratuitously instructed. Dr. Wood, the celebrated mathematician, was born at this place.
Entered here 2 September 2004 by Lynn Ransom Burton.