Patmos Chapel Methodist New Connexion
in the Parish of Todmorden
Patmos Methodist New Connexion Chapel was founded in 1816 on the Burnley Road at Todmorden. It became a Congregational Church in 1841 and was rebuilt in 1878. The church was demolished in the 1970s and a Memorial Garden established on the site.
On 16 June 1837, Benjamin Earnshaw the Officiating Minister of the Methodist New Connexion, Patmos Chapel at Todmorden, completed a questionnaire for the ‘Commissioners for enquiring into the State, Custody and Authenticity of Non-parochial Registers’ and signed on behalf of John Fielden (Trustee) and P.T. Gilton (Executor). Other acting trustees were named as Joshua Fielden, Thomas Beardsley and Thomas Fielden. The baptism and burial registers, which had been in existence since Patmos Chapel was built in 1816, were then posted to the Commissioners in London to be archived. The baptism, birth and burial records presented here have been extracted from an LDS film of the register now housed in the Public Record Office London. The registers originally had no page numbers, but were stamped when archived: these are the numbers referred to here.