TARLETON, a village, a parish, and a sub-district, in Ormskirk district, Lancashire. The village stands on the river Douglas, 2½ miles WNW of Croston r. station, and 8 NNE of Ormskirk; and has a post-office under Preston. The parish is cut into three divisions, and comprises 5,405 acres. Real property, £8,081. Pop., 1,987. Houses, 365. The manor belongs to Sir T. G. Hesketh, Bart., and Lord Lilford. The living is a rectory in the diocese of Manchester. Value, £960.* Patron, the Rev. M. Fletcher. The church is a plain brick building. A national school at Mere-Brow is used as a chapel of ease. There are three Methodist chapels, an endowed school with £29 a year, a school of industry, and charities £8. The sub-district contains 20 parishes. Acres, 12,139. Pop., 3,656. Houses, 667.
John Marius Wilson, Imperial Gazetteer of England and Wales (1870-72)
A parish in the hundred of Leyland, county palatine of LANCASTER, 8-1/2 miles (N.by E.) from Ormskirk, containing 1616 inhabitants.
The living is a rectory, in the archdeaconry and diocese of Chester, endowed with £660 private benefaction, and £600 royal bounty, and in the patronage of the Rev. Streynsham Master. The church, consecrated in 1719, is dedicated to St. Mary. This was formerly a chapelry in the parish of Croston. A free school, the building for which was erected in 1650, is endowed with £30 per annum, for which twenty children are gratuitously instructed.
From “A Topographical Dictionary of England, Volume 4 page 267. Samuel Lewis, 1831.