Standish is about 4 miles north of Wigan and has some 17,000 residents today
STANDISH, a parish in the hundred of Leyland, county palatine of Lancaster, comprising the chapelry of Coppull, and the townships of Adlington, Anderton, Charnock Heath, Charnock Richard, Duxbury, Shevington, Standish with Langtree, Welsh Whittle, and Worthington, and containing 7616 inhabitants, of which number, 2065 are in the township of Standish , 3-1/4 miles (N.W. by N.) from Wigan. The living is a rectory, in the archdeaconry and diocese of Chester, rated in the King's books at £45/16/8d, and in the patronage of Sir R. Perryn, Knt. The church, dedicated to St. Wilfrid, was built in 1584, by the Rev. Richard Moodie, the first Protestant rector; it is an elegant structure of Tuscan order. The free grammar school, founded in 1603, by Mary Langton, is endowed with lands, &c., producing an annual income exceeding £100, for the support of a master and an usher. Mary Smalley, in 1794, bequeathed £1000 for the endowment of a school, in which twenty poor girls are taught and clothed; the income amounts to £50 per annum. Fairs for horses, cattle, toys &c., are held on June 29th and November 22nd. Two of the twelve ancient castles of Lancashire, viz., Standish and Penwortham, stood here, but their sites only can now be distinguished.
Source: 1831 Topographical Dictionary of England. Copyright: Archive CD Books.