SAINT MICHAEL, or Saint Michael-le-Wyre - the adjunt being derived from its situation on the navigable river Wyre, is a parish in the hundred of Amounderness, the village being situated about 2 miles from Eccleston. The present church , a small structure was erected at the time of Henry VIII, upon the site of a more ancient one, which was build soon after the introduction of Christianity into the north of England. In 1851 the parish (which has no township of its name but is in Upper Rawcliffe with Tarnacre) was strictly agricultral and had 5,000 inhabitants. There were three parochial chapels, Woodplumpton, existed before 1340, Copp, in Great Eccleston, built 1723 and Out Rawcliffe, St John's, built 1837-8. St Peter's Inskip was opened in 1848.
Photograph supplied by and © of Brian Young