This map has been created from
Historic Parishes of England and Wales: an Electronic Map of Boundaries before 1850
By Kain, R.J.P., Oliver, R.R., University of Exeter. School of Geography and Archaeology, 17 May 2001
Distributed by: History Data Service, UK Data Archive, University of Essex, Colchester.
The Map of the Parish of St Michael's on Wyre shows the townships included in the original parish. The Parish boundaries and names are marked in red while the boundaries between the individual townships along with their names are marked in blue.
A higher resolution version of this map is available by clicking the the map above. To save to your computer, right click and select "Save Target/Link As".
ST. MICHAEL-LE-WYRE, a village and parish in the division of Garstang, and hundred of Amounderness, containing 6 townships: Great Eccleston, Inskip with Sowerby, Out Rawcliffe, and Upper Rawcliffe with Tarnicar, in the polling district and poor law union of Garstang; Wood Plumpton, in the polling district and poor law union of Preston; and Elswick, in the polling district of Poulton-le-fylde, and the poor law union of the Fylde.- Eccleston and Elswick are in Penwortham barony, and Tarnicar in the fee of Garstang. Number of acres 19,532. St. Michael’s is in Upper Rawcliffe and Tarnicar, 4 miles S. S. W. of Garstang. Wood Plumpton is 4 miles N. W. of Preston. Courts leet and baron are held for Wood Plumpton; and courts baron for Out Rawcliffe, and Inskip with Sowerby. The principal halls are Rawcliffe, White, and Ambrose. The original church was erected about A.D. 640, rebuilt in 14th century, and about 1525, dedicated to St. Michael, living a vicarage, annual value £783, patron H. Hornby, Esq..- There are 3 episcopal chapels: Wood Plumpton, existed before 1340, rebuilt about 1639, value of curacy £96 per annum; Copp, in Great Eccleston, built 1723, value £65; and Out Rawcliffe, St. John’s, built 1837-8,- the patronage is chiefly in the Vicar. The Catholics have chapels in Great Eccleston and Wood Plumpton; Independents, Elswick; Baptist, Inskip; and Wesleyans 2 in Wood Plumpton. Three fairs are held at Great Eccleston, April 14, first Monday after Trinity Sunday, and November 4. There is some cotton weaving, and considerable traffic in rushes. The Lancaster canal passes Wood Plumpton. The population of the parish in 1801 was 3,426; 1811, 3,941; 1821, 4,553; 1831, 4,708. The endowed schools are Copp, 1719, £40 per annum; and Catforth, 1661, £22.- In 1833 the schools were day 10, sunday 7. The annual value of property 1815 was £24,363; 1829, £24,578. Above one-third of the land is arable, average rent per acre £1. 8s. A part of the great moss of Pilling is in this parish, large quantities of trees are discovered beneath it. Wood Plumpton contains a mineral water.
“A Statistical Sketch of the County Palatine of Lancaster (1841)”, by Edwin Butterworth, facsimile reprint 1968, by the ‘Lancashire & Cheshire Antiquarian Society’. With grateful thanks to the Society.