SUTTON, a township, in the parish and union of Prescot, hundred of West Derby, S. division of Lancashire; containing 4095 inhabitants. In the reign of Henry IV., this place was held by Alan de Norrys or Norres under the baron of Halton. In 1736, Mary, the heiress of her father, Thomas Norres, and of her uncle, Edward Norres, married Lord Sidney Beauclerk, by whose grandson the estate was sold. The Greens, Eltonheads, and Ecclestons held lands here; and the Hall, which existed prior to 1567, was at one time occupied by a branch of the Hollands. The township, which includes a large part of the town of St. Helen's, comprises 3616a. 1r. 29p., and abounds with coal, ironstone, and coarse potters'-clay: 64 acres are common or waste land. A church was built in 1848, of which the living is a rectory, in the patronage of King's College, Cambridge; net income, £450, with a house. The vicarial tithes of the township have been commuted for £196; and the impropriate for £350, payable to King's College.
From: A Topographical Dictionary of England by Samuel Lewis (1848), pp. 271-274.