click to return to 
St Helens Home & Contents

The Parish of St Helens
in the County of
-- Lancashire --

click to return to Lancashire Home

The Church of St Helen formerly St Mary
in the Parish of St Helens

The Church of St Helen, originally a chapelry in the parish of Prescot, located in Market street of what was once called Hardshaw and is now known as the town of St Helens. The original church was known as St Elyn's Chapel.

By 1815, this structure had become too small and the building was extended. Following which, it was rededicated to St Mary. In 1852, the church became a parish in its own right and was no longer a chapelry in the parish of Prescot.

The church was destroyed by fire in 1916. It was rebuilt in 1926 and at that time dedicated to St Helen.

With the exception of a few early records for St Elyn's chapel, the records available for this church indicate the former dedication to St Mary.

 
St Helen, Church Square, Photograph courtesy of Frances Holcroft
St Helen, Church Square
Photograph courtesy of Frances Holcroft
 
Stone at the back of St Helen's Church, Photograph courtesy of Frances Holcroft
Stone at the back of St Helen's Church
Photograph courtesy of Frances Holcroft
St Helens Home & Contents Lancashire OnLine Parish Clerks

Lancashire Home