PARR, a township, in the parish and union of Prescot, hundred of West Derby, S. division of Lancashire; containing 3310 inhabitants. The family of Parre or Parr, barons of Kendal, were anciently lords of the manor. Sir Thomas Parre, master of the wards and comptroller to Henry VIII., died in the 9th year of that king's reign, leaving two sons and two daughters, of whom one of the latter, Catherine, became the unfortunate queen of Henry VIII. His son, William, inherited the estates, and was successively created lord Parr and Ross, baron of Hart, earl of Essex, and marquess of Northampton. Dr. Fuller has classed among the worthies of Lancashire, Richard Parr, whom the Earl of Derby constituted bishop of Man, and who, having distinguished himself by the exemplary discharge of his functions, died in 1643. The manor had before this time passed to the Byroms; the lordship of Parr is now claimed by the Orrell family. The township includes the eastern part of the town of St. Helen's, and comprises 1601a. 1r. 8p., of which 250 acres are common or waste land: it is almost entirely a coal district. St. Peter's church, here, was built in 1839, at a cost of £1200, and is a plain structure with a campanile tower. The living is a perpetual curacy, in the gift of the Incumbent of St. Helen's, with a net income of £150, and a parsonage-house, built in 1848. The vicarial tithes have been commuted for £94; and the impropriate for £136. 15. 9., payable to King's College, Cambridge. Schools were built in 1845, from public grants and private subscription.
From: A Topographical Dictionary of England by Samuel Lewis (1848), pp. 535-537.