in the Parish of Eccleston, St Helens
Christ Church, Church Lane, Eccleston today is in the Deanery of St. Helens, Diocese of Liverpool, and is part of the Eccleston Team Ministry.
From John Marius Wilson, Imperial Gazetteer of England and Wales (1870-72)
ECCLESTON, a township and two chapelries in Prescot parish, Lancashire. The township lies nominally \u00be of a mile NNE of Prescot; but it includes parts of both Prescot and St. Helens towns; and it shares the railway and postal facilities of both. Acres, 3,387. Real property, £36,478; of which £4,206 are in mines, £264 in quarries, and £466 in gas-works. Pop. in 1851, 8,509; in 1861, 11,640. Houses, 2,045. Pop. of the part in Prescot town, 930; of the part in St. Helens town, 8,012. Crown-glass and earthenware have been extensively manufactured. The chapelries are Christ Church and St. Thomas; the former connected with Prescot town, the latter with St. Helens. Christ Church was constituted in 1838; St. Thomas, in 1839. Pop. of the former, 2,328; of the latter, 8,206. The living of C. is a p. curacy, that of St. T. a vicarage, in the dio. of Chester. Value of C., £110; * of St. T., £300.* Patron of the former, S. Taylor, Esq; of the latter, Trustees. One of the churches is a modern edifice, with a spire. There are chapels for Wesleyans and Roman Catholics, and a national school.