The Wesleyan Methodist Chapel
in the Parish of Southport
Very little information is available on the earliest Methodist Chapel in Southport. This was one of seven Wesleyan institutions out of a total of fourteen Methodist Chapels that were founded within the town boundaries in the nineteenth-century.
Peter Whittle, writing of the institution in 1831 noted:-
“The Wesleyan Methodist Chapel was erected in 1824 and will accommodate three hundred persons. It is supplied by the minister in the Ormskirk circuit, assisted by local preachers. The congregation is numerous and respectable, and the service is conducted with due solemnity.”
P Whittle, Marina; or, An Historical and Descriptive Account of Southport, Lytham and Blackpool.. Peter and Henry Whittle, Fishergate, Preston 1831. Google Book Search