Photograph supplied by and © of Mike Berrell
Situated in Cheetham Street and for many years known as Baum Chapel, the neighbourhood was once haunted by a white rabbit ghost, known as the Baum Rabbit. The church then became St Mary the Virgin but for some unknown reason the second part was dropped and is now known as St Mary’s.
The first church was built in 1742 as a chapel of ease for Rochdale St Chad’s and consecrated by Samuel Peploe, Bishop of Chester 28 June 1744. In 1909 it needed so much repair it was cheaper to rebuild it. It was consecrated in February 1911 and is now a Grade II listed building.