The original Rivington Grammar School was founded by Bishop James Pilkington in 1566 under a charter granted by Queen Elizabeth 1. The Bishop was born at Rivington Hall in 1520.
The school was affordable by the children of the local gentry.
After the Bishops death the school became so badly run down that a replacement was built, after many years of legal squabbling, in 1714. Blackrod School was united with Rivington in 1873 and a new combined school was built in 1882. It is now Rivington and Blackrod High School. The old Rivington Grammar School building was then taken into use as a day school.