The Parish Church
Built in 1540 by Richard Pilkington, Lord of the Manor, Rivington Church was consecrated on the 11th October 1541 by the Bishop of Chester, Dr Bird. The church is thought to be built on the site of a former place of worship from the 13th century.
In 1566 the church was granted a charter by Elizabeth 1. The charter decreed that the building should be used for sacrements and gave the people the right to choose their own minister. The original chest that held the document is still in the church but the charter is now kept at Rivington and Blackrod High School.
The church had a major rebuild in 1666 and the roof was restored in the 1800s. In 1832 the church was badly damaged by an arsonist.
A Lych gate was erected in 1923 in memory of the Rev William Ritson. M.A., who was vicar of Rivington from 1879 to 1918. Also, in 1923, electric lighting was installed in the church.
An ancient Font, believed to be Saxon, was discovered in the vicarage garden and is now inside the church.
There are ancient carved stones in the churchyard. It is believed one of these stones commemorates when the local people first embraced Christianity during the 7th century.