The church of St Saviour Ringley is the third building to stand on the site and is a Grade 2 listed building. The first building in 1625, known as Ringley Chapel was erected as a chapel of ease in the ancient Parish of Prestwich and was dedicated to St Saviour on its consecration in 1635 by the Bishop of Chester. The chapel was endowed by Nathan Walworth, who was born at Ringley Fold. However he spent most of his life in Wiltshire where he became steward to the Earl of Pembroke. His neighbour Peter Seddon acted as his agent during the church building and their correspondence still exists. Nathan Walworth is remembered in inscriptions and a portrait, still to be seen in the current buildings.
In 1826 the chapel was rebuilt and the architect was Sir Charles Barry who later designed the Houses of Parliament. This building was consecrated in 1827. However this new chapel was too small and the present church, which is built in gothic revival style was erected on the site of the original chapel. The foundation stone was laid in 1850 and the church was consecrated in 1854. An altar from the original chapel is situated at the east end of the north aisle and some stained glass windows are also believed to be from the original chapel.
The tower from the Barry church remains standing in the churchyard and contains a stone from the original chapel with the inscription “Nathan Walworth builded mee Anno:Do 1625"