The first recorded use of the name was in 1194, the name meaning “the dwelling of a priest” from the Old English words “preosi” and “wic”. Situated on the northern side of the valley of the River Irwell. It comes from the Saxon meaning “a Priest's retreat”. Although still known as the “village” Prestwich has developed considerably since the fifteenth century when it was farmland. The grand residences are evidence of the area's success in the Industrial Revolution, now welcoming the second largest Jewish community in the country.
Photograph supplied by and © Mike Berrell 2012