Padiham is a small town on the River Calder, about 3 miles (5 km) west of Burnley and south of Pendle Hill. It is part of the Borough of Burnley but also has its own town council.
The name Padiham is derived from the Anglo-Saxon personal name Padda and an ingaham suffix. The first recorded mention of the town, as 'Padyngham', dates from 1294. In the Inquisition of Henry de Lacy taken Feb 16th 1311 it is spelt Padiham.
A full history of Padiham can be found here.
Photograph © of picturesofengland