A village, a township, and a chapelry, in Lancaster parish, Lancashire.
The village stands on the river Lune, within the peninsula between it and the sea, 2-1/2 miles NNE of the river’s mouth, and 3-1/2 SW of Lancaster r. station; and occupies the site of a Roman settlement.
The township contains also the hamlets of Sunderland and Saltmarshes, and bears the name of Overton and Sunderland. Acres, 6,314. Real property, £2,042. Pop. in 1851, 334; in 1861, 305. Houses, 67.
The property is divided chiefly between two --The Chapelry is conterminate with the township.
The living is a p. curacy in the diocese of Manchester. Value, £155. Patron, the Vicar of Lancaster. The church is ancient and has an open turret.
From: The Imperial Gazetteer of England And Wales, by John Marius Wilson. London, 1872.
Entered here 21 November 2004 by Lynn Ransom Burton.