The Parish Church of St Cuthbert
The Parish Church dates back to C 12th, though there were extensive alterations in 1817 and further alleged improvements in the 1860s. The church may be found a little out of the village on the Nether Kellet Road at OS Map Reference SD 522695.
A Wesleyan Chapel was also built in 1880 and enlarged in 1910. This closed in 1992.
Initially the parish was agricultural and very isolated. Quarrying of limestone, which had been very localised and small scale previously, became a major industry after the completion of the canal to Tewitfield in 1792. The Parish today is a combination of retirement and commuter dwellers, very few being employed within the Parish.