The parish of St Paul’s in east Oswaldtwistle was formed out of that of St James, Church Kirk following the demands of the population for their own minister. Meetings began at Busk Barn Farm, which was enlarged in 1843, and in 1870’s a temporary corrugated iron building was erected on Queen Street and consecrated in 1879. This was replaced by a new church in Catlow Hall Street in 1882 which was consecrated on11th October 1884. Following building of the present church, the iron church was sold for £200 and re-erected in James Street, becoming the Free Congregational Church and later, a Spiritualists meeting place. It was known as the “tin tabernacle”.
The church, erected in 1884, at a cost of £6,430, is an edifice of stone in the Early English style, consisting of chancel with aisles, nave, west and north porches and a small western turret containing one bell.