In the Baptisms register, whose events start in 1816, the Chapel is described as 'The Methodist Chapel, Shaw near Oldham, for the Township of Crompton'. When this register was submitted to the registration authorities in 1837, the following description is given of its name and location. Writing in italics was completed by hand, the rest being a printed form:
79 Lancashire : Oldham Methodist Circuit
The annexed or accompanying book is the original Register Book of Crompton which has been kept for the Wesleyan Chapel, called Shaw Wesleyan Methodist Chapel situate at Shaw in Crompton in the parish of Prestwich in the County of Lancaster founded about the year 1814.
Shaw Wesleyan Methodist Chapel may have been the chapel referred to as the predecessor of St Paul's Methodist Church. See the church website for more information, and a picture of that chapel.