click to return to 
Oldham Home & Contents

The District of Greenacres, Oldham
in the County of
-- Lancashire --

click to return to Lancashire Home

The main road from Oldham to Huddersfield passes through Greenacres, which helped it to become part of Oldham's rapid industrialisation in the 19th century. Until 1807, Greenacres had been open moorland, but when the cotton mills were built the area soon became densely populated with workers living in redbrick terraced houses.

With the demise of the cotton industry the mills were closed and demolished, leaving Greenacres as a residential area.

The area has been the site of one of Oldham’s municipal cemeteries since 1857.

Ryeburne Street Ryeburne Street
Creative Commons Licence [Some Rights Reserved] © Copyright M Campbell and licensed for reuse under this Creative Commons Licence
Oldham Home & Contents ©Lancashire OnLine Parish Clerks

Lancashire Home