A parish comprising the township of Old Laund-Booth in the higher division, and the township of Aighton with Bailey and Chaigley in the lower division of the hundred of BLACKBURN, county palatine of LANCASTER; the chapelries of Grindleton and Waddington, and the townships of Bashall-Eaves, West Bradford, and Mitton, in the western division of the wapentake of STAINCLIFFE AND EWCROSS, West Riding of the county of YORK; and containing 4,925 inhabitants, of which number, 324 are in the township of Mitton, 3 miles (W.S.W.) from Clitheroe.
The living is a discharged vicarage, in the archdeaconry and dioceses of York, rated in the king’s books at £14/7/8-1/2d, and in the patronage of the Rev. John Wilson.
The church, dedicated to St. Michael, was erected in the reign of Edward III.
The chapel of St. Nicholas, on the north side of the choir, is the burial-place of the Sherburnes, and contains numerous memorials to that knightly family.
It stands near the confluence of the rivers Calder, Holder, and Ribble, the neighbourhood of which was the scene of a great slaughter committed by the Scots, in one of their irruptions into England, during the existence of the plague, in 1319.
Helen Heighton, in 1795, devised a school-house and certain messuages, the annual income arising from which, tiz., £38/10/-, is applied to the free instruction of about twenty children. There is also a rent-charge of £4/10/-, bequeathed by William Parkinson, towards the support of a Sunday school.
From: A Topographical Dictionary of England, by Samuel Lewis, Vol. III, London, 1831, Page 312.
Entered here 5 September 2004 by Lynn Ransom Burton.
Certain Extracts by kind permission of the Historical Directories website from the University of Leicester.