The church of St. Mary was built in 1829, by Parliamentary grant, on a site given by Henry Sudell of Woodfold Park. The tower contains a clock and eight bells, the gift of Daniel Thwaites; the east window of stained glass was erected in 1871 by Henry Hargreaves of Mellor House as a memorial to relatives. There are other memorial windows and fittings given in memory of various local personages as well as some beautiful wood carvings. The registers date from the year 1830. The living is a vicarage in the gift of the vicar of Blackburn.