MARTON, a township-chapelry in Poulton-le-Fylde parish, Lancashire; on the coast, from 1 mile to 5 miles SE of Blackpool r. station. It consists of the hamlets of Great Marton and Little Marton; and its Post town is Blackpool, under Preston. Acres, 5,452; of which 805 are water. Real property of Great M., £4,400. Pop., 1,258. Houses, 251. Real property of Little M., £3,612. Pop., 433. Houses, 68. The manor belongs to Col. J. T. Clifton. The living is a p. curacy in the diocese of Manchester. Value, £125.* Patron, the Vicar of Poulton. The church was built in 1804; was enlarged, and had a tower added, about 1863; and is a plain brick structure. There are an endowed school with £100 a year, and some small charities.
John Marius Wilson, Imperial Gazetteer of England and Wales (1870-72)