click to return to 
Manchester Home & Contents

The Church of St James (formerly St Thomas), Gorton
in the County of
-- Lancashire --

click to return to Lancashire Home

St James Church was the original place of worship in Gorton. In the 18th century and due to the poor state of the building, a new brick church was constructed. This was dedicated to St Thomas in 1755.

By mid 19th century, another church building was required. The new church reverted to its former patronage in 1871 and stands close to the original St James site.

St James, Gorton
St James, Gorton
Creative Commons License   © Image copyright Ian Rhodes and licensed for reuse under this
Creative Commons Attribution-Non-Commercial-Share Alike 2.0 UK: England & Wales License .
Manchester Home & Contents ©Lancashire OnLine Parish Clerks

Lancashire Home