click to return to 
Manchester Home & Contents

The District of Blackley, Manchester
in the County of
-- Lancashire --

click to return to Lancashire Home

Blackley lies about 3 miles north of Manchester city centre. The name [pronounced Blake-ley] means “a clearing in a dark wood" and the original hamlet is mentioned in the Domesday Book. The dense woodland was occupied with deer and wolves and was a very popular hunting area.

In the 17th century, Huguenots (French protestants fleeing persecution) arrived in the area, bringing their linen weaving skills.

Blackley in 1975 Blackley in 1975

Photograph by kind permission
and © of Lynne Roberts, Aug 2011
Boggart Hole Clough, Blackley Boggart Hole Clough, Blackley
© Copyright Keith Williamson and licensed for reuse
under this Creative Commons Licence Creative Commons Licence [Some Rights Reserved]

The building of Heaton Park in 1772 involved the use of 640 acres but the area stayed rural until the early 20th century with a solitary corn water mill on the river Irk.

In the 1930's the area became an overspill estate for Manchester but Boggart (ghost or evil spirit) Hole Clough has survived as an area of green land. Heaton Park also remains and is incorporated into the City of Manchester as its largest park.

For more information about Blackley, see Excerpts from 'A Short History of Blackley'  by Allen Blakeley

And also see this website

Manchester Home & Contents ©Lancashire OnLine Parish Clerks

Lancashire Home