A village, a township-chapelry, and a sub-district, in Preston district, Lancashire. The village stands adjacent to the head of the Ribble’s estuary, 3-1/2 miles W of Preston-Junction r. station, and 5 SW of Preston; is about 2 miles long; and has a post-office under Preston.
The chapelry comprises 3, 132 acres of land, and 560 of water; and is in Penwortham parish. Real property, £6,784. Pop., 1,637. Houses, 310. The property is much subdivided. Malting is largely carried on; and there are two breweries.
The living is a p. curacy in the diocese of Manchester. Value, £190. Patron, L. Rawstorne, Esq. The church was built in 1770, and is a good brick structure.
There are chapels for Wesleyans and Primitive Methodists, a free grammar school, and charities £29.
The sub-district comprises the parishes of Penwortham and Hoole. Acres, 14,240. Pop., 6,620. Houses, 1,204.
From: The Imperial Gazetteer of England And Wales, by John Marius Wilson. London, 1872.
Entered here 27 November 2004 by Lynn Ransom Burton.