The first priest to serve Longton, circa 1150, was probably based in Penwortham Priory and the village didn’t have a chapel until the Medieval period, when around 1517 a Chapel-of-Ease to Penwortham Church was erected. During 1770 - 1773 a brick Church was built which was replaced by the current stone building in 1886, the latter was dedicated to St. Andrew.
The church was built in Victorian Gothic style with a five bay nave and a turreted tower and the site of the altar of the previous church is marked with a sundial. The porch has foundations strong enough to take a spire, though this wasn’t built due to spiraling costs. The bell turret and ringing chamber were added in 1902, with choir and clergy vestries enlarged in 1931 and again in 1966. The stone font was presented by H Fleetwood in 1725, possibly this originally stood in Penwortham Parish Church where it is rumoured to have been found in a coal cellar and put in Longton old Chapel in the 1870s.
The Baptism register begins in 1754 but Burials are from 1817 and Marriages from 1838, prior to these dates the services were likely to have been held at the Parish Church of St. Mary, Penwortham.