Holy Trinity Church, Wavertree
1794 – 1978
Holy Trinity, Wavertree, was built and opened for worship in 1794. It was designed by the Cheshire architect John Hope the church had a 'prominent classical steeple in the Wren tradition' and John Betjeman 'Collins Pocket Guide to English Parish Churches: the North', 1968, p. 156, describes it as being '...now Liverpool's best Georgian church and a prominent landmark'.
The church was built as a chapel of ease to the parish church of Childwall and it was well attended from the opening, the inhabitants of Old Swan went there, it being nearer than their Chapel at West Derby, or their Parish Church three and half miles away at Walton. After the assignment of its own parochial district in 1828 the first Vicar of the new parish was the Rev. William Badnall. The church was licensed to perform marriages in 1837.
The church was damaged by fire in Jan 1961 but was re-hallowed for worship in Sep of that year.
|Repository:||Liverpool Record Office|
|Ref No||283 HTW|
|Extent||37 volumes, 1 file, 28 documents, 7 folders|
|Early Registers||1794 - 1812 (283 HTW 1/1)|
|Baptisms||1813 - 1911 (283 HTW 2/1 - 2/3)|
|Marriages||1837 - 1910 (283 HTW 3/1 - 3/2)|