The church of St Mary’s (C of E), Olive Vale, North Drive, Wavertree, Liverpool is located at OS Grid Reference SJ 389897
The original church Of St Mary’s, consecrated in 1855, was in Sandown Road, Sandown Park, built on land donated by Hugh Hornby. It was, however, destroyed by enemy action in November 1940. The site was sold in Jan 1951 to the Liverpool Education Committee for the Mabel Fletcher Technical College. Between 1940 and 1952 services were held in the Parish Hall, Northdale Road. The Methodist Church in Victoria Park was then purchased and was consecrated as the new St. Mary's in December 1952. The church is still used for worship today.
History of the Methodist Church…
In 1837 a small church was built in Sandown Lane, Wavertree Liverpool but this was at first unsuccessful. Premises were rented in Martin's Lane for some time in the 1840s until another start was made in Sandown Lane.
April 15 1850 The foundation stone of St Mary's church Wavetree laid by Rev Augustus Cambell Rector Of Liverpool.
1856..St Mary's church Wavetree was consecrated
By 1860 a building scheme was launched. The new Wesley Church, whose location is usually given as Victoria Park Wavertree although it actually stood in Olive Vale, was erected in 1873. Various additions, including a spire, were subsequently made. In 1882 Lord Bishop of Liverpool laid the foundation stone of the Tower of St Mary’s church Sandown Park Wavetree.
The whole project was not completed until 1886. The Sandown Lane premises were retained as schools and were themselves enlarged in 1892. The First World War inflicted heavy losses on the church, and, though renovated in 1925, it continued to exist only with difficulty and was finally closed in 1950. It was sold to the Church of England as a new home for St. Mary's Church, whose former buildings had been blitzed. and was consecrated as the new St. Mary's in December 1952.
Source of Wesleyn/Methodist History.
|Repository||Liverpool Record Office|
|Ref No||283 WAV|
|Extent||31 volumes, 1 box|
|Title||Records of St. Mary's Church Wavertree|
|Date||1856 - 1980|
These records were deposited by Rev. A. Bell, 29 North Drive, Wavertree, in February 1982.