1829 - 1946
Travelling North-east along Raymond Street from Vauxhall Road, across Tichfield St. and Vescock St., through Myers Place and up Tenterden St. to Scotland Road. Turn North West (left) up Scotland road to Hopwood Street. Turn South East (left) down Hopwood St to The Leeds Liverpool Canal. Follow the canal South back to Raymond Street.
St. Martin-in-the-Fields Church, Silvester Street was consecrated on 13th Jan. A number of acts relating to the provision of 'additional Churches for populous Parishes' in Liverpool had been passed in the early years of the 19th century under the terms of which 'a large and handsome Stone Church .....(was)..... erected on a piece of Land situated on the South Side of a certain Street called Oxford Street North (re-named Silvester Street in 1865.
The foundation stone had been laid in 1825 and the church, designed by Mr. John Foster, Jnr. (1787 - 1846), was built by the Government upon land given for that purpose by the late Edward Houghton, Esq.
In 1941 St. Martin-in-the-Fields Church was destroyed by enemy action. Services were then held in the Church of St. Alban, Bevington. In May 1949 the church of St. Martin-in-the-Fields was permanently closed and the parish merged into the Parish of Liverpool (Our Lady and St. Nicholas, Chapel Street).
Gravestone inscriptions from St. Martin-in-the-Fields graveyard are recorded in Liverpool Cemeteries Records: Inscriptions of gravestones removed from City graveyards:-
St. Martin-in-the-Fields Inscription Book, c. 1830 - 1862 (352 CEM 1/11/1)
|Repository:||Liverpool Record Office|
|Ref No||283 MAR|
|Baptisms||1829 - 1941|
|Marriages||1829 - 1946|
|Burials||1829 - 1865|
|Banns||1885 - 1941|
|Service Registers||1930 - 1940|