St. John the Baptist
later St. John the Baptist with St. Thomas' Church, Park Road
1773 - 1971
Picture courtesy Lpool Rec. Office
The foundation stone of St. John the Baptist was laid on the 30th July 1830 and the church was consecrated on the 30th Sep 1832, but it was not until the 26th Sep 1837 that the new district of St. John the Baptist was formed out of the parish of Walton on the Hill (see the 'London Gazette' of that date).
The church stood in a densely populated part of Liverpool, yet by the 1930's the church was falling into disrepair and the congregation had dwindled (see the 'Liverpool Echo', 6th February 1850). In 1939 the parishes of St. John the Baptist and St. Thomas were amalgamated to form the new parish of St. John the Baptist with St. Thomas. Further damage by enemy action during World War II resulted in the church being condemned as unsafe in 1949. A scheme of restoration was undertaken involving the removal of the steeple to tower level, the removal of pinnacles and turreting in a dangerous state, and the provision of a new roof and windows together with extensive internal renovation. These repairs were completed by 1950 and on the 22nd July 1950 the church was rededicated by the Bishop of Liverpool, Dr. Clifford Martin. A further survey of the church in 1957 resulted in the building being closed because of extensive damage to the roof and dilapidated state of the walls. The church was demolished during the early part of 1959, but services for worship, weddings, baptisms and funerals took place in the adjacent church hall.
According to the Register of Services, 1962 - 1966 (283 BAP 9/5) the last service took place in the Parish Church of St. John the Baptist with St. Thomas on the 3rd April 1966. Some time afterwards the parishes and benefices of St. John the Baptist with St. Thomas and St. Philemon with St. Silas became amalgamated and the church of St. Philemon became the parish church of the United Parish.
Those registers of the new parish deposited in Liverpool Record Office are listed at 283 PHI. Extent 42 volumes.
Related Material Registers of the United Parish of St. John the Baptist with St. Thomas and St. Philemon with St. Silas, Liverpool Record Office reference 283 PHI.
|Repository:||Liverpool Record Office|
|Ref No||283 BAP|
|Access Conditions||The following registers are available on microfilm only|
|283 BAP 2/1 - 2/17|
|283 BAP 3/1 - 3/17|
|283 BAP 5/1, 283|
|BAP 8/1 - 8/2|
The rest of the collection is available to any accredited reader.
Records and History courtesy of Liverpool Record Office, Liverpool Libraries.