click to return to 
Liverpool Home & Contents

The Church of St James, Toxteth
in the County of
-- Lancashire --

click to return to Lancashire Home

St. James' Church
later St. James with St. Matthew
later St. James with St. Matthew and Holy Trinity
St. James' Place, Toxteth Lpool 8

St James, photograph courtesy of Paul Christian at
St James, photograph courtesy of Paul Christian at

The church of St. James', Toxteth Park was opened for Divine service on 4th June 1775, although the church was not consecrated until the following month. The church was not assigned a Parish until 1844 Under the terms of the Liverpool Corporation Act, 1898 the Corporation appropriated St. James' churchyard and closed it for interments. An agreement dated 11th Sep 1899, between the incumbent, churchwardens and the Corporation was confirmed by a faculty of 29th Jan 1901 empowering the Corporation to use part of the churchyard for widening St. James' Place and to lay out the remainder as an ornamental garden.

In 1931 the benefices and parishes of St. James' and St. Matthew became united into the new parish of St. James with St. Matthew. Nine years later, in 1940, following the closure of Holy Trinity Church, Parliament Street, the parishes of St. James with St. Matthew and Holy Trinity became amalgamated into the parish of St. James with St. Matthew and Holy Trinity.

Further details can be obtained from 'A History of the Church of St. James, 1775 - 1925', 1925.


Repository: Liverpool Record Office
Ref No 283 JAM
Date 1775 - 1972
Description The collection comprises –
Old registers, 1775 - 1813
Baptism registers, 1813 - 1959
Marriage registers, 1775 - 1965
Burial registers, 1813 - 1894
Banns registers, 1823 - 1936
Grave register, 1910
Confirmation register, 1930 - 1965
Service register, 1893 - 1958
Choir registers, 1936 - 1953
Vestry, Parochial Church Meetings and Parochial Church Council minutes, 1775 - 1972
Rate book for repairs, 1856
Estimate for cleaning and overhauling the organ, 1936
Parochial roll of Electors, 1920 - 1968
St. James' School, minutes of Committee of Subscribers and Management, 1786 - 1874
Extent 72 volumes, 1 folder
Access Conditions Old registers (283 JAM 1 thru 6) are available on microfilm only. Access to the remainder of the collection will be granted to any accredited reader

Records and History courtesy of Liverpool Record Office, Liverpool Libraries
Visit Liverpool Libraries online catalogues at

Liverpool Home & Contents ©Lancashire OnLine Parish Clerks

Lancashire Home