The District of Sefton, Liverpool
Sefton, a parish in the hundred of WEST DERBY, county palatine of LANCASTER, comprising the chapelry of Great Crosby, and the townships of Aintree, Little Crosby, Ince-Blundell, Litherland, Lunt, Netherton, Orrell with Ford, Sephton, and Thornton, and containing 3433 inhabitants, of which number, 389 are in the township of Sephton, 7 Miles (N.) from Liverpool.
The living is a rectory, in the archdeaconry and diocese of Chester, rated in the king’s books at £30.1.8., and in the patronage of the Rev. R.R. Rothwell.
The church, dedicated to St. Helen, was rebuilt in the reign of Henry VIII., by the Rev. Anthony Molyneaux, a distinguished preacher, then rector; it is principally in the later style of English architecture, with a lofty spire; the interior is remarkably elegant, the chancel in particular, which is separated from the nave by a magnificent screen, and contains sixteen richly-sculptured stalls, with numerous monuments of the family of Molyneaux, of whom Sir William fought and performed signal acts of valour under the banner of the Black Prince, at Navaret, as did Sir Richard in the battle of Agincourt, and another Sir William in that of Flodden Field. This place confers the title of earl on their descendants.
From: A Topographical Dictionary of England: Volume 4, page 37. Samuel Lewis, London, 1831.
Entered here 29 June 2006 by Lynn Ransom Burton.